Re: Spindle flange nut size?

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Kevin Curry <kevin@domain.elided> wins the 40 million
dollar lottery and says:

>> I doubt you'll find one.  You need the thin-wall socket so it'll
>> physically fit inside the hub assembly.  If you DO find one, get two and
>> send me one. ;-)
>
>They're out there, Jeff Bade said he got one from the Snap-On guy.

>That crappy socket would have NEVER gotten that nut off at 150#-ft!! You think maybe
>the local Navistar dealer may have a socket?

Guys,

When I encountered this problem shortly after buying my Scout, I went to a
local industrial hardware store and bought a Williams brand 2-1/16 12 point
socket.  It's 3/4" drive, very heavy and fits inside the Scout hubs just
fine... it's not specifically "thin wall."  While it is a rather odd ball
size you won't find at Sears or some chain hardware store, they are readily
available.  It won't be as cheap as that piece of crap sheet metal socket
you tried, but then it *will* stand up to the torque requirement and will
last many generations of use.  Your children's children will be using it
someday.

Here's some mailorder sources I can recommend that sell on-line.  They ship
*fast* via UPS.

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com)

Part No. 5547A31  Socket, 3/4" drive 12 point standard  $24.54.

Part No. 5523A23  Adapter, 1/2" drive to 3/4" drive  $5.81

MSC Industrial Supply (www.mscdirect.com)

Part No. 84967975  Socket, 3/4" drive 12 point standard (Proto)  $30.84

Part No. 84968619  Adapter, 1/2" drive to 3/4" drive (Proto)  $7.00

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)