Re: Spindle flange nut size?

Kevin Curry wrote:

> Well, here's what I did. From my understanding, I have the same from axle found
> on the same year ('75) Traveler and Travelall. I have the 6-bolt hub assy. w/
> the 27-spline spindle. Here's my series of events from last night:

I do NOT believe it's the same as the Travel*ALL*!  My Travelall has the
"internal" style hubs like a Ford, which makes it (should make it.  I
haven't had it apart) 19-splines.

In any event, the socket you bought was a thin wall socket, not a
"4-point" sort of "castellated" socket, right?  The 4-prong unit is for
the Ford/Chevy (and T'all I believe) assemblies.

> this is where the flange nut is exposed. it is a large one with a thin metal
> plate folded around 2 sides of it. I bought a flange nut remover and when I ws

Thin plate is a "lock ring" of sorts.  You need to pound this lock-ring
away from the nut.

> attempting to turn the flange nut I stripped out the ½" drive hole.. I plan on

What did you use, your IMPACT wrench?  (BTDT)

> purchasing a much heavier duty flange nut socket and using a cheater to remove

I doubt you'll find one.  You need the thin-wall socket so it'll
physically fit inside the hub assembly.  If you DO find one, get two and
send me one. ;-)

> it. Like I mentioned before, I understand that flange nut is to be torqued only
> to about 5#'s or so.

That's not what *I* have read a number of times.

Two nuts.

It goes outer wheelbearing, washer (If I remember right), then
wheelbearing nut - another 6pt nut.  This is torqued to 30-ish foot-lbs
while turning the rotor.  You then back off 1/4 turn.

Then put the second washer on (the bent up one), and then the second
(outer) wheelbearing nut.  *THIS* is a jam nut, and yes, the factory
manual calls for something much closer to ONEHUNDRED FIFTY foot-pounds,
not FIVE.  That's 150, not 5.  I think the spec is actually 125, but in
any manner, it's *LOTS*

Enough that it's a real chore to hold the thin-wall socket onto the nut,
and pull up on my torque wrench with that kind of force, without
slipping the socket off and sending the whole mess flying, and most
likely munching my hands in something.

Of course, that makes disassembly just as fun.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout