Re: S80 on a SII Frame?

Message text written by "Walter A. Evitts"
>Have any of you "Gurus" out there ever tried an 80 on a SII frame? I am
thinking of trying this and preliminary measurements look good. I would
like
to use the existing 345/727 combination. I have a set of 6 hole Dana 44s
from my old Jeep J-10 with 4.11 trac-locs to go in as well.
Any input would be appreciated and useful.<

Walt,

  Never tried it, but I saw one.  It "looked funny" in the back.  The Scout
II frame rails stuck out in the rear beyond the 80's body and the gas tank
was exposed.    That could have been easily fixed by trimming the frame and
relocating the tank (where?) or using the original 80 tanks (if they aren't
rusted too badly).

  Doesn't seem like it'd be too much of a project.  It'll need some
fabricating to relocate the radiator mount a ways forward.    You might
need to do a little work on the firewall, I recall reading somewhere that
the SII V-8's  were mounted farther back than those in the 800's.  Having
the engine farther back would be a plus, the 800's are too front heavy
anyway.

  Speaking of 800's with V-8's, it looks to me like IH "cheaped out" when
they put the V-8's in.  Instead of a little rework of the firewall that was
designed around the 4 cylinder engines they just put the V-8 way forward
which gives the 800's lousy weight distribution.  So, if I were going to go
to the trouble of the body swap, I think I'd move the engine rearward a
ways.  As far back as comfortable without cutting into the driver's space.

  Get a two piece steering column out of a  '70 or '71 (maybe '69, too)
800.  The column should fit in place of the 80 column and will make hooking
up the steering box easy using a couple of steering u-joints.

  A firewall mounted power brake booster will be a hassle.  There isn't
enough room between the firewall and inner fender for one.   I'm running
non-power 11" front discs and SII rear drums with a stock size 800 M/C and
I've never felt like I needed a boost to stop my 3600# rig.

  That's about all I can think of now,

Doug