Axle came out

While replacing  my ring and pinion I had Napa press on new wheel
bearings.  Because of the financial hit from the R&P I chose Napa's
Powerglide series bearings $16.69  instead of $25.49.
When I turned a corner Saturday my passenger side axle came out of the
housing enough to disengage from the side gear.

The pressed on collar had come off of the axle.
I took it back to Napa and we couldn't determine why it came apart.
The instruction sheet that comes with their premium bearings (Timken)
says there should be .004 inch minimum interference between the collar
and the axle.  We measured  both the cheap and the premium bearings
and both had .006 inch interference.   The Timken bearings collar was
slightly larger in outside diameter.

Napa pressed on a new Timken bearing with inner and outer seals and
only charged me for the difference in bearing price $9.52.
The guy said it took a lot of force to get the new collar on and was
confident it would stay on.  I feel good about it because I measured
it and know it had more than the required interference but now I'm
worried about the other side.  I will keep a close eye on it and
hopefully won't have a problem.

Just for information here are the part numbers and prices for the
wheel bearing job at Covington Napa in Covington Washington.

PBR10  Powerglide Wheel Bearing  $16.69
BR10    Timken Wheel Bearing        $25.49
18731   Outer Seal                          $13.64
15141   Inner Seal                          $4.50
            Labor to R&R bearing          $15.00

Nick Leiterman
Kent, WA
iarenick@domain.elided