Re: Gold Box

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 ScoutIIMan@domain.elided wrote:

> I don't like having to shut the key off and restart my Scout while cruising
> down the freeway at 65 mph, after the ignition quit. In my opinion, it has to
> be one of the most unreliable electronic ignitions, (outside of anything

Steve,

How are your bulkhead connectors?  My Scout will sometimes just die and
then restart on the highway.. which i know is a flakey bulkhead connector
I haven't repaired yet.

I think there was a theory that a lot of goldbox deaths come from bad
grounds - bad bulkheads.

I run a Pertronix in my '77 SII w/ '72 304.

I never had a problem with the goldbox on my '77 196.  And my racer's
motor has a goldbox on it.. we'll see how that works.

No complaints.  HOWEVER, if I were building a rig to take me out to the
boonies (which I am), I'd opt for the Pertronix just for the Points
backup.  OTOH, much like some of us run multiple goldboxes on a
quick-switch basis, my friend has two Duraspark boxes mounted on the
fender of his Bronco.. when one fails he just plugs the other in.  '74
Bronco w/ ?? 351W.

-Tom