Re: Gold Box

John,

<< 1. Get a new gold box if you feel uncomfortable about the condition of the
old
one.  These are available new at most auto parts stores for about $45.00 to
$75.00... so shop around.  This is your cheapest alternative.  The gold box
ignition system is really quite reliable, although it can be ruined by leaving
the ignition key in the run position without the engine running for an
extended period.  If your engine dies, shut the key off or restart it! >>

Geez John. Reliable? Is that why we have all the hundreds of posts about "My
Gold Box quits on me at the most inopportune time" submitted to the digest? I
never left my key on except when I was driving my Scout, and both the
original and one from a Scout dealer malfunctioned within a year. Personally,
I don't like having to shut the key off and restart my Scout while cruising
down the freeway at 65 mph, after the ignition quit. In my opinion, it has to
be one of the most unreliable electronic ignitions, (outside of anything
Lucas made) known to man. So, how come you're running a Pertronix instead of
the Gold Box anyway?

Sorry John. After all the excellent advice, information and knowledge I've
gained from reading your posts, I'm just . . . disappointed. ;-)

Mack, do yourself a favor and get a points distributor and install the
Pertronix, and don't look back. I (shameless plug) have information on the
Pertronix at:
http://members.aol.com/slarsonih/ignition/ignition.htm

STeve