Re: Starting Problems

I haven't thought about bringing it up until you mentioned it, but
probably 50% of the time the "gold box" problems aren't actually the gold
box, but just a bit of corrosion in the connectors--both the in-line ones
and the bulkhead contacts that carry the ignition circuits.  The problem
is that there are only a few milliamps carried in a number of those wires
and that isn't enough to burn through a tiny bit of corrosion that
develops at the connectors. If the trigger circuits stop, then there will
be no spark.  Of course, changing the gold box usually solves the problem
because the offending connector gets unplugged and reconnected, but the
box itself may not really be the problem.  Some dielectric grease on the
terminals can help prevent the corrosion.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Sun, 06 Jun 1999 20:20:35 -0400 David Nuenke <dnuenke@domain.elided>
writes:
>Dan, Michael, Rik
>
>    Good news, I went out after dinner, pushed on gold box connectors
and
>it fired right up. Took it for a spin around the block, parked it. Then
it
>stareted right up again a few minutes later. It is now at the glass shop
>where a new winshield will be put in tomorrow so it will hopefully pass
the
>(inserst farorite adjative here) Maryland inspection so that I can get
Md.
>plates. ( I did not try the coil test, my dad had me pull a plug wire
and
>watch for a spark jumping to the block, and we did not see one.)
>
>David Nuenke
>76 Scout II
>Spirit Edition
>
>Daniel Nees wrote:
>
>> David,
>>    Have you performed all the standard tests yet? Pull the coil wire
>and
>> see if you have spark, being the most important. If you have no
>spark,
>> then the gold box can be suspected, but; the coil could also be bad.
>> This is what went on Mike Moran's Scout during Scout the Pinelands.
>If
>> you swapped Gold Boxes then try another coil.
>>
>> _____Dan Nees_____
>> cookiedan@domain.elided
>>
>> 3 Scout's, one shotgun, 20/20 vision.
>>
>> http://members.tripod.com/~IHCaholic/scoutindex.html
>>
>> http://www.triplediamond.org

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]