Re: Clutch problem

In a message dated 6/4/99 11:01:46 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Chuck99876@domain.elided writes:

<< Hello guys and gals, I am new member to the list so I geuss I should give
 short bio about myself, My name is charles boyian from Rockland county NY. I
 just bought a 1961 IH Scout 80 that I am in the process of putting back
 togeather. So far most of the work has goan smooth but I can't for the life
 of me get the clutch to work right. it strted right after I put a ne
 transmission in. The clutch worked fine for the first few minutes then the
 slave cylinder piston poped out. I took the slave cylinder out and after
 looking it over I ordered a new one. when I installed the new one I noticed
 that the pin between the slave cylinder and the clutch fork seemed not to be
 long enough to engage the throw-out bearing. My question is what could be
 wrong and the best possible way to fix it. >>

 Chuck,

I was wondering how long it would be before someone else ran into this
problem. I had the same thing happen to me with my '65 Scout 80 w/3 speed
trans and hydraulic clutch.
Since you have replaced the slave cylinder, we can probably rule that out as
a problem. I'm also assuming you replaced all the original clutch parts (PP,
disc and throw out).
A quick fix might be to thread an acorn nut onto the end of the clutch fork
rod. This will sometimes give it enough extra length to engage the throw out
bearing. But I would also rebuild or replace your clutch master cylinder. You
are probably not getting a full amount of hydraulic "push" to operate your
slave cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Roy Ireland
'65 Scout 80