Extended Shackles vs. Caster

I did some calculations to figure out how much the caster does change
with the length of the shackles.  For each inch the shackles are
lengthened, the axle is rotated 1.3 degrees, with the caster being
reduced and the pinion rotated up by that amount. With most Scouts
starting out at zero degrees caster and 2 degrees positive caster
generally felt to be an improvement, it's rather obvious the handling
will deterioriate quickly with longer shackles unless caster wedges are
used.  I hadn't thought the effect would be that great until I did the
math.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]