4wd light, SSTC, other stuff

I've always wondered what that light was really for.  To me, it seems
terribly redundant, but recently I received some insight into why such
redundant features have become more and more popular on new vehicles,
not to mention thousands of other products out there...

WARRANTY!!!!  I'm firmly convinced that light was added to simply keep
idiot owners from making warranty claims on driveline failure etc using
the excuse "I wasn't aware it was in 4wd.."  Although, of course, this
in itself seems pretty futile, as if a driver cannot determine whether
their vehicle is in 4wd or not (Especially in LO) from the vibration,
noise and markedly different driving characteristics, they deserve to
pay 45,000 for a new Lincoln Navigator.

Just a note on the SS transfer case.  my 1974 has the chain drive case,
and does NOT have a light.  Although many of you aren't fond of this
case due to it's lack of a deep reduction, I can't wait to get the
chance to use it for a highway/city cruiser Traveler, combined with some
kind of viscous coupling to the front driveshaft.  It's  a pretty quiet
unit, and can be engaged quickly and easily  on the fly.  I was going to
pair it up with a modified, high cam 392 or 345, TBI injection, and a
727 tranny, and make it into an AWD hot-rod of sorts...

Quick question:  for those of you who have made low-profile spring
u-bolt plates for your Scouts for clearance improvements, did you have
to get new shocks to accomodate the couple of inches higher mounting?