Auto Conversion

Message text written by "Mike Stenstrom"
>  I'm considering converting my 74 Scout II from a three speed manual
(2-spd xfr case) to Automatic.  I got a 727 with the T'all a couple months
back, and I'd like to convert so my (non-stick driver) wife can use the
beast when I go back to sea next year.  A friend of mine is warning me that
the conversion might not be simple.  Here are some questions:  1.  Are
there
any differences (other than output shaft) in a 727 for 2x and 4x4 use? (and
just what will it take to spot and correct them)  2.  Will I need a new/cut
driveshaft?  3.  Are any adapters required to bolt the 727 on to the motor?
(345).  Will I need to pull the motor?  4.  How difficult is this to "dial
in" after installation?  5.  Anything I should do to the 727 before
installation?  6.  Can anybody give me a "thumbnail" sketch of what this
might involve?
    Since I also got a twin-stick transfer case with the t'all, I'm also
wondering if this will give me any advantages over the transfer case in the
scout now.  Well, thanks for all the advice in advance.<

Mike,
  All of the below applies to using a 727 from a 4x4.  I can't address
issues of a 2wd 727.

  Get the flex plate & spacer block off the crank of the 727 donor vehicle.
  Get the kick down linkage off same.  Buy an aftermarket trans cooler and
use the donor vehicle hard lines up to the radiator where you can splice
into the rubber lines that come with the cooler.  A Scout II shifter
linkage can be used or use an aftermarket street rod type shifter (note:
the aftermarket shifters mostly have a front approach to the tranny which
might put the shifter cable too close to the exhaust, *I know*).  You
*might* need the starter spacer, about 3/8" thick, that's used on *some*
Scouts with 727's.  I'm pretty sure you also need the drive gear that goes
into the transfer case, I seem to remember that being different with the
727 than the manual trannies.  That's all I remember about parts you'll
need.

  In my conversion from T19 4 speed to 727 there was only about an inch
length difference overall so the drivelines were OK.

  IMHO, this is a fairly straight forward conversion.  Mine was done in an
800 so crossmember wasn't a problem,(800 crossmembers have a front and back
adjustment).  I had to weld a little tab onto the cross member to use the
Scout II tranny mount.

  The whole conversion took less than a day.    In my case, the worst part
was manhandling the T19 out,(the motor was left in).  The 727 is
featherweight by comparison.  Oh, and be sure the torque converter "clicks"
into place on the tranny splines correctly.

Hope I haven't forgotten any important details, but knowing the Digest, you
know somebody will correct me if I've misinformed.  I bet the first time
you drive it you'll wish you'd done it years ago.

Good luck,

Doug