Headache is gone!

   When Ed's truck broke down I remember thinking, oh, this should be
easy, an AMC I6, there are a million Jeeps here in Jersey running these
things we could rebuild it without blinking. Boy was I wrong!
   Just to recap what we've been through, the timing chain we got off
the shelf, this laud me into a false sense of security. Then we found it
wasn't the chain but the piston. We then learned that 71-78 AMC I6's
pistons are different from all other years, then we learned that no one
stocks them anywhere, not even in the whearhouse. We ended up calling
Northern Auto Parts for the piston and bearing.
   Then, I thought I needed to buy a new connecting rod nut because I
couldn't find one, no one in South Jersey stocks or carries these
either. The nut is specific for 71-78 I6's and early Chevy small blocks.
One guy said he could order it from Detroit and would take 5 days to
get. One place in Pottstown, PA had 9 of them, but; their parts counter
was closed on saturday. Fortuanatly I found the nut.
   Then, when we went to get the cap, rotor and points I told the guy
that is was for a '74 CJ5 (I hate to misrepresent a Scout as a Jeep, but
you gotta do what you gotta do.) The cap, rotor and points were shelf
items, BUT; the condensor was a special order item and, guess what, it
would take 5 days to come in! Well, we just went with the old one.
   It is all done now, but; I sure wish it had an IH engine in it, I
still have a 24 hour IH dealership around me if I really was stuck and
needed parts.

_____Dan Nees_____
cookiedan@domain.elided

3 Scout's, one shotgun, 20/20 vision.