727 Rebuild

Here's another laugh for someone...

After making the Travelall run, I cut some more rollcage tubes and
notched 'em.  I thought about notching more, but figgered I'd let the
hole saw have a break.. instead, I looked at my 727 on the garage floor
and tackled it.

Finished tearing it apart, and when I pulled the reverse drum out, the
inner portion of the overrunning clutch (I think that was the part) came
with it, and all the little springs and rollers fell out.

Cleaned it all up, and started reassembly (New band and servo go on)..
first I had to get those rollers n' springs in.

I stood the tranny on end, and started carefully placing the springs and
rollers in place.. and then knocking them over.  Again. and Again.
Must've taken an hour (12-1am) to get 'em all in there and standing up..
then the center portion (that the rollers ride against) of the reverse
drum is placed over the rollers and I try to drop it in.. won't fit.
Knock half of the stupid rollers n' springs over.  Repeat this process a
bunch of times.  I then look at the service manual, and decide to try
compressing the springs and moving the rollers a little to make a larger
"hole" for the inner portion.. HAH.  Dump all of the rollers n' springs
over.  *sigh*

It was about 1:45, and I wasn't very thrilled any more... when I decided
to try putting in the center piece with just the rollers in place, and
put the springs in later.. still no go.  take half the rollers out, and
I could get the center in.. and then I found out it was easy to just
drop the rollers in and then slip the springs in, and the whole job
takes about a minute...

*TWO* easy foul-ups in one night.. sheesh! ;-)

Now to figure out where the small rectangle of metal that popped out
with the reverse band goes...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77/78 Scout II - off-road racer project, putting the 727 together and
the rollcage..
'72 Travelall - flush the tank, flush the cooling system and put the
valve cover back on and I have a runner (OK, fix a few spring bushings
n' bolts, too)