Re: Rolled Tubing Vs Sch 40

Michael_Thompson@domain.elided wrote:

> I have seen several post regarding rolled tubing and Sch 40 pipe, I am
> uninformed about these matters could someone explain the superiority of the
> tubing of the Sch 40. I bought  a Harbor Freight Bender and was wondering what
> the best bang for my buck was when I build a cage?

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm learning fast..

Most sanctioning race bodies REFUSE anything built out of Schedule 40
"back pipe" or exhaust tubing or.. blah.  They all specify seamless mild
steel *TUBING*.. usually 1 5/8" x .120 wall or better.

Pipe is brittle when compared to tube.  A pipe will shatter where a tube
would deform.

In that regard, a good tube 'cage is lighter than a bad pipe cage, too.

On the down side, I just read that the PIPE bender from Harbor Freight
will bend PIPE, not tube.

See : http://www.lowbucktools.com/benders.html for some "good" tube
benders.  Not as cheap as the Harbor freight stuff, but not super
spendy.

The Montana 4x4 Association Race Rules Book specifies Schedule 40 as a
minimum 'cage.. I have one, and I don't like it.  The bends were
"squished" when they were made, and it just looks too light weight, IMO.

It's getting replaced before next summer.  I just emailed Art Morrison
about having a custom 'cage built.

For now, I'm reinforcing and adding to the Sch40 'cage for "practice"
and to strengthen it some.. I have just over 40' of 1.5" ID Schedule 40
"black pipe" at home.  Measures 1 7/8" OD.  It's about $1.40 per foot.

The 2" .120 wall DOM tubing I *wanted* is $5.61 per foot delivered in
Montana.. and it only comes in 23' or 24' lengths.

For that price, it's DEFINITELY cheaper to have Art Morrison build the
cage if *all they did* was sell me the TUBING at that price.. it's like
getting the bends n' cuts for free. ;-)

Can't be too safe..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout