Top removal

I have a Thule roof rack on my 800's top.  It's a standard gutter mount deal and very bullet proof.  I have two pulleys mounted to my garage ceiling joists on screw-in eyes and have two lines with a big bowline loop on each pulley.  The loops are big enough to go over both sides of each cross bar.  I loop one on to each cross bar then get someone to help me (usually my frowning girlfriend - she hates this chore).  Together we pull the ropes to hoist the top up then secure the rope to cleats on the wall studs.  When I lower it back on, it's a one man operation but not easy.  I tie the tag ends of each line together before I lower it and remove rope from the cleats.  I had to experiment with the placement of the cross bars on the gutter to get the center of gravity such that when we lift it I take most of the weight and my girlfriend or neighbor keeps the back from dropping (except that one time).

If you'd like more details, drop me a line.

Greg Chapdelaine
gregory.p.chapdelaine@domain.elided