Re: Rolled Tubing Vs Sch 40

Message text written by INTERNET:Michael_Thompson@domain.elided
>I have seen several post regarding rolled tubing and Sch 40 pipe, I am
uninformed about these matters could someone explain the superiority of the
tubing of the Sch 40. I bought  a Harbor Freight Bender and was wondering
what
the best bang for my buck was when I build a cage?<

Michael,

  I assume as far as roll cages/bars you'll be ok if you use the NHRA
specs.    Roll cages minimum is 1 5/8" OD .120 wall mild steel tube.  Since
the wall thickness may vary,  pros use .134" wall so there's never a
problem meeting tech inspection.

  I don't know the relative strengths between tube & pipe.  I've never seen
any professionally made race car cages of Sch 40 pipe, though.  Maybe pipe
is not made with as tight quality/alloying controls as tube?

  The downside of tubing is it's very expensive (and hard to find) in
relation to schedule 40 pipe.  Also, tubing is typically specified by the
OD and wall thickness.  Pipe is specified by the ID.

  I've seen benders like the Harbor Freight model.  One ad  had a
disclaimer saying they were for pipe up to 2", but  not suitable for
tubing.  The only thing I can figure is they were cautioning against trying
to bend thin wall tube which might collapse.

  Good luck and keep us posted.

Doug