Re: Headgaskets, Improved cooling???

The aliens commander decided jmbrodsky@domain.elided would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>        So this weekend the heads come off and I get in there to see
>     wha-d-hell is going on.  $14 ea. or $57 for the whole kit?  The kit is
>     the entire top end, manifold, and valve cover gaskets too.  Now,

Get the kit... the valve covers will leak eventually. <grin>

>        What happens with the IC/non-IC stuff.  My guess is that the 392 in
>     the '75 is the Improved Cooling?

Definitely.

>     Which holes am I looking for?

There will be long cooling passageways (slots) at the back of each block
deck on the IC model.  The IC gaskets work in such a way as to properly
seal these passageways, whereas a non-IC gasket will leave part of these
slots un-sealed.

>     Should I just make sure that the holes in my 392 are different from
>     the 345 which was non-improved-cooling?

Using a 345 is an excellent way to compare.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison.
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell