Re: Holley 2300 jets

The aliens commander decided "Jeff" <tark_terra@domain.elided> would make a
perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>My theory  is that I need to richen it up a bit with the mixture screws, since the accelerator pump isn't really being activated with a light foot.  And since it works fine when I nail it, because its plenty rich when the 30cc dumps into it.  I don't think I went too lean with the jets because it still pulls good out of the hole.
>Opinions and advice are welcome.

Tark,

Remember that the idle circuit of the carb (controlled by the idle mixture
screws) has a very narrow window of activation (for lack of a better word).
That is, almost as soon as the throttle appreciably opens beyond idle,
you're not on the idle circuit anymore and you'll quickly be into the main
metering circuit.  The proper way to adjust your mixture screws without
test equipment is usually via the "best idle - lean drop method."  Let me
know if you need an explanation of this procedure and I'll post it.  The
proper way to adjust the idle mixture is not by trying to achieve some
level of felt performance, because I don't think it has any significant
contribution to what happens as soon as you start accelerating.

Rather, in your case where you have a slight dead spot under light
acceleration, it almost has to be the main metering circuit.  Don't forget
that at moderate to heavy acceleration loads, the power valve comes into
play (usually in several stages) to enrichens the air / fuel mixture
independently of the main metering jets.  So you can in fact have an
acceptable idle and good moderate to heavy acceleration performance, while
at the same time still having unacceptable light acceleration performance
because of too small jets.

Any time you swap jets, I'd immediately adjust the idle mixture using the
"best idle - lean drop method" and then see how your acceleration
performance is.  If you still have this light acceleration dead spot, I'd
try swapping in the next size larger jets, adjust the idle mixture again
and see what you have, etc.

Good luck,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |"I don't care if you think it's your right.
Conservative Libertarian        | I say: Sorry, it's 1999. We have had
Life Member of the NRA          | enough as a nation. You are not allowed
WA Arms Collectors              | to own a gun, and if you do own a gun
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | I think you should go to prison.
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |        -- Talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell