Dana 50F

Greg,

My good friend Mike Kelly is putting a new Dana 50F into his '74 Early
Bronco.  He has the axle, just needs to get to it.  He works at the Ford
dealership and scores lots of nifty deals... I wonder if this 50F was a
"discard" from someone wanting a 60F? ;-)

The 50 uses the same diff cover as the 60, but a smaller R&P (it's
offset inside the huge Dana 60 'case), but it uses the Dana 60 big-joint
U-joints in the axle shafts.

In other words, if you glanced, you'd probably think it was a 60.

Hmmm.. that might mean it still won't fit on your Scout.. since I think
the rough external dimensions are similar.. well, maybe a shorter
pinion.  I can ask Mike what makes the 50F smaller or "less" than a
60F.  I do remember the big U-joints and the same cover, with a smaller
R&P inside..

-Tom