Cutting the FRONT of the rear wheel well

Rik DesJardin wrote:

> Last time I was cutting out a couple rusted areas and welding in new metal I
> enlarged my rear wheel wells by trimming off a couple inches in front of the
> rear tires.  I now have the rear tires centerd in the wheel well.  I was

OK, now it's my turn.

Looking at it (and even after reading your webpage), I can't see how you
can easily hack much off of the front.. but if it's not too bad, I'd
love to!  Save me from "tubbing" the rear (yet, anyhow).  Actually, if I
can hack the front of the wheel well and move the center pins FORWARD, I
can keep the stock driveshaft..

How much material did you actually remove?  Easy enough to remove the
"flanges" around the drain plug n' such.. but what does that buy you?  I
think there's still the problem of the top of the wheel well being a
contact point for the tires.  As the tire compresses upwards and
forwards, that is where it's going to hit (vs my 4" + 2" shackles that
go rear and up)..

I'm not afraid to cut it, Rik.. and I'd love more room for those 33s
(and 35s when it's time to buy new rubber later this summer)

Details, man, details!

;-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout