RE: Think before you buy....

<Also, I have a new oil leak that appears to be coming
<from the top of the
<engine, but not from the valve covers (I've replaced
<those gaskets already).
<Could that be the valley gasket?  Is it difficult
<to replace?

Tony,
 I had to replace the valley cover gasket (officially:
tappet cover, the parts places couldn't find a listing
for 'lifter valley', try NAPA) when I first purhased
my Scout, it spewed oil everywhere when hot.
 It was not all that difficult, the intake manifold
comes off first (so be sure to get gaskets for that
too!). My advice would be to use the cork gaskets (I
couldn't find rubber)along with some RTV sealant,
especially in the corners where the heads meet the
block, there are some little 'tangs' there which
probably don't seal well with just the gasket.
 Don't over torque the tappet cover bolts (anyone know
the 'real' torque specs?) and be very careful when you
move the intake manifold, that sucker is HEAVY!!!!
Good luck,

===
Russ D.
'73 Scout II 304