RE: old machinery

Jarrod wrote:
> Ah!You should work where I work.I'm a lift(elevator) mechanic.I love
> working on the really old gear.Some of their electro-mechanical ways of
> getting around limited technology are truly works of art.Anyone who's
> seen a 1930's Otis floor selector(stands about 5' high)will know what I
> mean.
> And they actually *pay* me to fiddle around with this stuff!

That would be fun.  We had an old department store here in Colorado Springs
that just closed.  It had all original equipment from the 30s & 40s.  The
elevator was designed to use an attendant, etc.  Hopefully, somebody with a
cool sense of taste will open it back up and save all that stuff!  Heck,
move a library wing into it!

There's a place in nebraska, I think, where they've got the biggest
collection of vintage 20th century machinary in the US.  I've got a big
article about it in one of my Science & Technology magazines.  They've got
warehouses full of ag, kitchen, etc machinery from every decade of this
century!  I got to get a chance to see that.  The Henry Ford museum is also
quite good.

I wonder if there's a good place around Colorado to see really old IHs?
Tractors or trucks.  Anyone know?

Ken Farmer
- just like my wife says: all discussions eventually come back to IH ;-)