Re: Current Issue of Special Interest Autos

Mr. Russell would be the head of Custom Vehicles Incorporated, the Fort
Wayne-based operation that did many of the conversions on the 1980 Scouts
(with Midas doing others).  He also had a company in Texas that did some
Scout conversions in 1979 before the Fort Wayne operation opened. He made
several proposals to buy out the Scout operation when it closed, mostly
contingent on getting great quantities of city and state free money.
When the papers started printing some questions about some of his
previous business dealings, the whole thing seemed to go away.  I don't
know if the things they brought up were true, but obviously nothing came
of his proposals.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Mon, 10 May 1999 20:06:15 -0700 Al Evitts <albert@domain.elided>
writes:
>The current issue of this magazine is showing some old Scouts in
>various
>stages of abandonment and abusive usage.  Also are whining as to how
>no
>one ever thought of collecting these vehicles since SUVs are so
>popular.  Thats all we need abunch of yuppies making the price of a
>junkyard scout approach the natiopnal debt. One item of interest that
>never heard before, A guy named Russel, who was some kind of a
>conversion Guru in the 70,s tried to move the Scout production to
>Texas
>and keep making them but he apparently lost backing or some such and
>the
>deal fell thru.  Any one heard of this before?   FWIW
>
>Al

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]