Re: Cooling

Tom,

Your "gets hot at idle" problem can be solved for under $10.  Go to
AutoZone, and get the correct Robertshaw thermostat.  Everyone sells you
the Stant type "equivalent".  Well, in the case of the IH it's not
equivalent.

There is a huge bypass built into the IH cooling system so that there is
circulation in the block even when the 'stat is closed.  When the
Robertshaw opens the passage to the radiator, it closes the bypass
passage.  The Stant style lacks this last feature.  The result is instant
overheat at low rpm.

If you can't find one let me know and I'll get one and ship it to you.
AutoZone sells them for $4.95.

Get the Robertshaw brand and compare it to the Stant.  There'll be a nice
big brass cup on the back which moves when the valve moves and closes off
the other passsage.

Respond to:

               steve.stegmann@domain.elided

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776