Dwell help

IH all,
  I need some basic mech. knowledge from someone.
I know how to set the point gap, and did on my new
points, and I think that dwell is the time that the
points stay closed?
  I have an inductive meter that I can use to check
the dwell but 1) don't understand how and 2)if I set
the gap on the points, do I need to check/set the
dwell?
  Maybe this is related to what sounds like a miss at
idle (and a stumble just off idle). So far I have
rebuilt the carb. (2210 on a 304), put on new plug
wires, plugs, cap, rotor, points, condenser, fuel
filter. I still have to re-check the timing and verify
that the vacuum advance/mechanical advance are
functional. . .vacuum reading is steady at right
around 18. . .I did check the firing order, but will
have to verify that the rotor is pointing at #8 when
it's on the compression stroke (darn block stays hot
for a long time, fingers burn quickly when inserted
into that thing 8))
. . .anything else I should check? Would hate to have
to bring it to a shop (stubborn, stubborn, stubborn).
TIA,

===
Russ D.
'73 Scout II 304