Heads n' my 392

OK, after determining the heads should come off for sunflower seed
removal, I started looking for gasket prices.. Maulis has the 345 steel
shim gasket for $50-ish EACH.  $100?  Of course, I want 392 gaskets (and
being a 72, and a 392E, that makes this an IC, right?  Can't use the
spare set of 345 heads I own..)

So.. is $100 the right price tag for a pair of head gaskets?  I'll be
checking the auto parts stores tomorrow morning when I get my new
U-bolts..

I'll also need a valley pan gasket..

So I look at Northern Auto.. they don't list just head gaskets for an
IH.. but for $130 (or $140?) I can get a Re-ring kit, which claims to
include gaksets, plus new rings and other items.  OK, so if it's $100
for the gaskets alone, I can get the rings for $30.. and if I'm that far
into the motor (heads n' intake off) would it be prudent to re-ring it?
(naturally, I need to get it apart and have a look-see at everything
first.. could be it'll be a no-brainer on what this motor should have).

I DO NOT want to rebuild this 392.  I want it to run, at as little cost
as necessary.

But.. a re-ring wouldn't hurt, right?

if I have the heads off, after I wash the dirt/dust/sunflower seeds out
of the intake side, would I be wise to port the heads?  Gasket match the
exhaust manifolds?  I want to just put it together and drive it, but if
it makes oh-so-much sense to look into porting...

*sigh*

I've said it before - Thus far I've been blessed with well running
engines that haven't required me to delve into this area before, and I'm
thankful.

Looks like I just broke that streak.. swapping frames is easy.. this
type of stuff still has me concerned.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Travelall 1110 - I'll cut it up for parts before I start calling it,
"Big Ugly Green Money Pit".. electrical issues to track down, 392 to put
back together, spring hangers to repair, motor mounts to replace, one of
two gas tanks, rust, trailer brakes to re-attach, rear window that still
won't work...