More Starter Solenoid

Hi All,
  After trying some things that Jason and Michael mentioned, I'm still
in a quandry.  I ran a direct wire from the 'S' solenoid terminal, and
when touching it to the battery, I get it to crank.  I turn the key to
the Run position and touch the wire, it cranks and tries to catch, but
shuts down as soon as I stop touching the wire to the battery.  I've got
the dash pulled apart, and I've cleaned each individual contact in the
famous bulkhead connectors.  The resistance wire from the ignition to
the bulkhead connector reads 1.9-2.0 ohms (I think the book calls for
1.80).  I've got continuity on the ignition contacts when the ignition
is in the run position (and have radio, too), and the Brake Warning
light glows when I turn the key to the Crank position (which shuts off
the radio, as normal, but shows no discharge on the ammeter), so I know
the ignition switch seems okay. I pulled the #1 plug out and grounded it
when touching the 'S' wire to the battery, and I see a spark.  The coil
is a Blaster installed last fall (using the ballast resistor).  I still
haven't replaced the starter solenoid itself, and I can't think of
another 'logical next step' since it sounds like it wants to run as long
as I keep wire to hooked to the battery from the starter motor.  All
lights/signals are working properly, if that helps any.
Any and all info is greatly appreciated,
Myron

C. Myron Ware   Senior Prog/Analyst, CNE |  NASA Langley Research Center
Email c.m.ware@domain.elided             |  Hampton, Va   23681
http://cnb-www.larc.nasa.gov/~ware/cmw-home.html  (work) or
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1370  (non-work)

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups