Re: Starter Solenoid

This is a classic problem. All my scouts did this at one point or another.

It helps to understand a bit about what that "solenoid" is actually doing
when you apply power to the "s" terminal.
Essentially, the "solenoid" is doing two things at once.  It first engages
the starter drive gear with the flywheel/flexplate, and with this action
completed, it applies power to the starter motor.

When you get that ammeter draw but no "click" or starter operation, and it
requires a tool to hit the solenoid casing to get it to work, several
things may be at fault:
1: bad/loose/corroded connections in Solenoid, creating a short (giving you
your current draw)
2: heat soak from the engine has made the solenoid seize up temporarily
(ie. the actuator actually expands from the heat, and it sticks a bit in
the bore)...when this happens, the truck tends to start normally after
enough time has been allowed for the block to cool
3: combination of above
4: the main solenoid spring is weak, aggravating the heat soak/seizing
problem.

You can immediately fix most of these problems by simply going to your
nearest parts place, bring the old solenoid with you, and get the parts guy
to look up a GM AC/Delco starter for you.  When you get it (they usually
stock these) match it up with yours.  Replace old solenoid with nice, fresh
new one.  It's also advisable to freshen up all the electrical connections
while the solenoid is out.

You can also help avoid the "weak" spring problem by substituting the old
one for a new, updated version.  Again, go to any parts place, preferably
somewhere where they specialize in automotive electrical equipment, and get
them to look up the "update" solenoid spring for gm ac/delco starters.
Bring the original with you, as you will immediately recognize the "update"
spring as it should be at least an inch longer, and noticeably stiffer.

You should have no further problems, but you can augment this by making a
custom heat shield to protect the starter and solenoid from heat coming
from the exhaust manifold.

IF this does not let you start your scout, you might have broken the power
input to the starter motor when you were removing the solenoid...I hope you
didn't do that...

Jason...

P.S....to "jump" start the solenoid, use a screwdriver (careful not to
short it out on the frame, body, etc) and connect manually the BIG terminal
where the battery lead is to the "s" terminal (where your start wire is).
The other small terminal is used to bypass the standard ignition feed to
eliminate the resistor to improve starting, and does not come into play
when actually getting the starter to work.  there should be some big sparks
when you make this work, by the way.

If there is no action at all, try bypassing the solenoid altogether, and
hit the starter terminal with the end of the screwdriver, while in contact
with the "big" terminal.  this SHOULD make the starter activate, but will
not ingage the flexplate, as the solenoid is bypassed.