Starter Solenoid

Hi all,
  A recent problem has manifested itself and it was  making my
starter a hit-or-miss item.  When it first happened, turning the key
to the start position caused the ammeter to show a large discharge,
but the starter motor didn't engage.  Tapping the solendoid with a
wrench a few times worked to let it engage.  I took the solenoid off
this afternoon and cleaned the contacts and flipped the big washer
over inside of the solenoid cap (the top of the washer was very
pitted).  After reinstalling and re-crimping new connectors on the S
and R terminal wires, I now get a big fat nothing when turning the
key to start. :(  The ammeter barely even moves to the discharge side
of the guage.  Leaving the key in the Run position, I used a
screwdriver to connect the R and S terminals, but still got nothing
(that is the way to' hot wire' it, right?)  This is a starter on a
4-196 out of a '70 800.  I believe I remember seeing a Delco stamp on
the starter motor.  Can the solenoids be purchased without the
starter motor?  Is there some other helpful hint I can apply to save
having to buy a new solenoid/starter?  Any part numbers for
replacements?  Thanks for any info,
Myron