RE: Starter Solenoid

Jason and Maria Colavecchia wrote:
> You can also help avoid the "weak" spring problem by substituting the old
> one for a new, updated version.  Again, go to any parts place, preferably
> somewhere where they specialize in automotive electrical
> equipment, and get
> them to look up the "update" solenoid spring for gm ac/delco starters.
> Bring the original with you, as you will immediately recognize
> the "update"
> spring as it should be at least an inch longer, and noticeably stiffer.

This is what I did the last go around.  It was this or a remote solenoid,
and I figured that was simplier.

BTW, nice description, hmmmm, is there a faq for "Help! I can't start my
IH!"?

My jeep friends openly admit that my IHs could outpull their jeeps 10x1,
but then quickly point out that I probably couldn't start mine to verify
that anyhow. |-(  Of course this really isn't fair - that time I was
stranded with five women from the office was because I left my lights on,
not because of my starter.  In any event, if they were a little stronger,
the grade a little flatter, and I had tried dropping it into 2nd instead
of 1st, it wouldn't have needed a jump anyhow!

Ken "only hauls people strong enough to push his scout" Farmer
pharmer@domain.elided