One more Scout back on the Street

Hi IH'ers,

We finally got our '65 Scout 80 back on the street. After almost 6 months of
downtime, she's running better than ever. Most of the problems were with the
3 speed transmission. My biggest mistake was trying to rebuild it myself. My
next biggest was buying parts for it from JCWhitney. It turns out the 2nd
gear they gave me was machined with the wrong taper for the synchro brass.
This prevented the synchro from sliding onto the gear far enough and that
caused major jamming of the synchos and the hub when we tried to run it.
Finally ended up taking the tranny to a local J**p shop (they *are* IH
friendly, though) and paying for a professional rebuild. Cost less than what
we had originally paid for parts plus 2nd day air shipping and we got it back
in 2 days!
The moral of this story is, if you don't know what you're doing... get help!

Anyway, it's good to be back among the living.

Roy and Andrew Ireland
'65 Scout 80
Tucson, AZ
rlireland@domain.elided