RE: Pertronix/Prestolite

>   The way I understand the system, Tony, is that IH used resistance
>wiring in thier points systems. The electronic ignitions didn't require
>this as the electronics control the voltages.

That makes sense to me.  Do you know why points require resistance in the
wiring?  Purely mechanical reasons (excess voltage deteriorates components)?
I guess it's my lack of experience with points (and ignitions in general) that
makes me wonder why...  I think I need to buy a book on ignitions.

>   The PerTronix is made for the Holley distributers only. You don't
>need the resistance wiring or resistor if you only use the PerTronix,

But you do need resistance if you couple the pertronix with a high-performance
coil (I will have an MSD Blaster), correct?  That's what I understood from one
of John Landry's earlier posts.  Since the MSD can deal with either, maybe it
would be prudent to install a resistor, JIC.  Where does the resistor connect
in the ignition circuit?  Between the pertronix and coil +?  Where's that
book....

>but if you have to go back to points you would burn the points out
>rather quickly, i.e. a month or two. I don't think you would need to
>worry about the resistance for a swap back to points, if the PerTronix
>goes on you and you can get home on a set of $10 points that are now
>trash, well, you saved $100 on tow costs.

Good thinking.  I assumed that the points wouldn't run well enough to drive on
low/no resistance.  I see that's not the case.  You can drive for a while on
points with no resistor (enough to get ya home!).

>_____Dan Nees_____
>cookiedan@domain.elided

Thanks, Dan and IH'ers.  I'm a neophyte at most things automotive.  But I'm
learning.

Tony
http://people.ce.mediaone.net/turban/