re: Pertronix/Prestolite

>From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
>
>You're dead on Tom... and that's why I have a ballast resistor properly
>wired to the starter and sitting right next to the coil with appropriate
>jumper wires.  This way I can switch to the Pertronix alone or even back to
>breaker-points should the need ever arise.  Quadruple redundancy sort of...
>MSD + Pertronix / Pertronix alone / points alone / MSD + points.
>
>Regards,
>
>John L.

Just to clarify my thoughts, no points were ever available for the prestolite
distributor, correct?  And is the pertronix available as a swap for the
prestolite ignition or just the holley?  Also, the prestolites do not use a
ballast resistor but did IH use any resistance wiring in the ignition as was
used in points applications?  Should I even care since I'm moving to an MSD
system?  I am probing this possibility just for the redundancy.  I've had the
prestolites go out on me before.  Pretty cheap to replace, but not when you
have to add a towing bill to the total.

Lots of stuff to remember.  I may need to pick some brains (any volunteers?)
when I do the swap.  It sounds pretty cut and dry for my prestolite system,
but the cost for the holley distributor w/pertronix is pretty reasonable and I
may swap one in on the same weekend.

Thanks,
Tony