Re: The Draft Effect

The aliens commander decided "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided> would
make a perfect specimen for dissection, and he yelled...

>As one who has drafted, and obviously from John L.'s comment been
>drafted upon, I have a question.  Does anyone know what effect the
>drafter has on the draftee? Does John L. owe me great amounts of fuel
>money for having disrupted the patterns of vortices at the rear of my
>trailer?

Wait a minute here Johnny!  Any financial gain I might have received (from
the wind you were breaking in front of me) was offset by the fuel I wasted
trying to duplicate your habit of randomly speeding up and slowing down,
weaving across the lanes, and driving at speeds well in excess of the
posted limits! <grin>

>Well, even if he does, I forgive him all monies owed, because of my
>great affection for him.

I guess that's a good think for both of us then... right? <grin>

>As for my "sweet" wife, how come everybody who meets her, uses
>adjectives like sweet and thoughtful for her, whereas the only
>adjective regularly preceding my name is Ol'? And what's much worse,
>how come everyone wonders what I ever did to deserve her?
>The answer to that question so often posed, is that I stole her out of
>her proverbial cradle. She would be the first to tell you that she was
>too dumb to know the difference. Besides that, I was the local school
>teacher making an even $300 a month gross, and compared to her family,
>she thought I was rich. After 42 years, she's too used to me to want
>to bother to change.

I never said she wasn't *brain washed* by years of environmental exposure
to you John.  And as far as adjectives to describe you are concerned...
you've got entirely too much hair on your arms and face to conjure up a the
word "sweet".  Who knows... maybe if you were 5 years old again and you
were to shave that beard off we might see something different.  On second
thought... what's underneath might be scarier than what we see now... so
maybe you better not.  I might step out on a limb here and call you "Ol'
and loveable" but "sweet" is going to be pushing it really hard. <grin>

All said in the spirit of good humor,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT