Re: Open knuckle front???????

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:29:27 -0600 Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided> writes:
>"J. Grammer" wrote:
>>
>> >It *IS* open knuckle tho'.. identical to the Chevy front axle under
my
>> >race Scout.
>>
>> As unlikely as it may seem, I suspect an axle swap. I've NEVER seen an
open
>> knuckle front end under anything older than '74. Maybe Howard P can
provide
>> some insight.....
>
>Perhaps it's a 1/2T thing?  I just re-read the BinderBulletin disc brake
>swap.. Comer did it on a '73 1110 Travelall with open knuckle.. and my
>'72 (I didn't look last night, d'oh.. 5/72 comes to mind) has an open
knuckle front.

>Howard - any idea when the full sizes got open knuckle front ends?

Duh--maybe early in 72?  I don't really know as I wasn't that close to
detalis of the light line.  I have heard of Jim's and a few others
previously that lead me to think the light line did have them before 74
and I've always assumed it was coincident with the Scout II in 71, but
........   We'll probably have to go on reports of what people actually
find out there to determine the start date.

With several different axles in the various models and with the standard
and HD variations, I wouldn't be surprised to find the introduction was
staggered depending upon which axle you're talking about.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]