Re: Warn Premium Hubs

Kevin Curry wrote:

> I just called a local off-road shop and told them I wanted Warn Premium
> hubs. I know nothing about a new style or anything like that. Actually, the
> Premiums are $99 and the regulars are $79 hence the reason I'm going through
> them. Other places wanted $130-$160

And you specifically asked for Scout II hubs.. the Ford/Chevy parts are
CHEAP compared to the Scout/Jeep 6-bolt hubs.

> Where do I get this special too and is it Scout specific? Is it the
> cylindrical tool with the 2 peg on either side of the ends you're talking
> about?

For the manual Scout hubs (Warn and Dualmatic/Selectros), there's a
special, thin-wall 6-sided socket for the spindle nuts.  Your local auto
store should have it - JCWhitney carries 'em for $10.

This is a somewhat Scout specific part.

The 2-prong you're referring to is probably the spanner wrench for the
automatic hubs - they use a single (same as the manual) hex-nut, then a
lock-ring and then a threaded round nut, with two holes for a spanner
wrench, and 3 (?) allen head set-screws.

There is a 4 prong version that looks like a castellated nut.  This is
used for the GM/Ford Dana 44 spindle nuts.  I bought one to do the nuts
on my late 70s Chevy front axle under my racer.  I think this is the
same tool you would need if you bought the "internal" style Warn
replacements that Bill Thebert is now running.

-Tom