Re: Sticky Lifter

I once used this technique on a chevy 235 that had set up for so long that
there wasn't good compression because all of the oil had drained out of the
cylinders back into the sump.  An old mechanic type told me that this was
the way to get the engine to start:

Make sure you have a good battery, then crank the engine continuously while
pouring a bottle of ATF down the carb.  Don't stop pouring or cranking (to
avoid the risk of hydraulicly locking a cylinder, I guess).

Yes, it smoked like hell, but the engine proceeded to start right up and ran
fine after that!

Roger Scow
Traveler in the throes of engine reinstallation