Sticky Lifter

One thing to try *before* you go and dump ATF down the intake..

Drain off (or just don't add back in after it leaks out) a quart of oil,
and put one quart of ATF in.  Highly detergent oil, but you should only
run this 100 miles before you change the oil.

IMO, less likely to cause damage than the ATF-->Carb trick..

Other variations I've heard include draining the oil, filling with
diesel fuel, start it up, but only run it until it *just* starts to warm
up and then shut 'er down.  Drain and fill with motor oil.

Dunno how much I like *that* approach.. but I still say ATF in the oil
(or maybe some special "Sticky lifter treatment") first.. as a safer
solution.. unless it's *really* stuck, in which case running the motor
100 miles could be bad.. but if it's just a lifter that's a little
gummed up, I'd try it..

-Tom
BTDT