considering on-board air...

Hi All,

I am considering doing up an on-board air install on my 78 Scout.  I've
spent far too much time lately with dinky little 12V compressors, and
want some air tools too.  My Scout has an aftermarket air conditioner,
so what's my problem?  Well, the air conditioning works great, and
although I never use it, I don't want to dismantle it if it's too
valuable.  The air that comes out is ICE cold, but doesn't blow on the
driver very well -- the system has the actual air conditioner unit
hanging under the dash below the glove box, but it's only about 2 feet
wide, it doesn't come over the middle of the dash over the shifter like
the other IH A/C's I've seen.  The compressor is a small cylinder,
coaxial with the pulley/clutch (unlike the Yorks I've seen in pictures
of other on-board air setups).  The install instructions for the A/C
were in the glove-box when I bought the Scout a few years ago, they're
still kicking around somewhere...

Anyone familiar with this product?  Any comments on the suitability of
the compressor for an air conversion?  Any comments on the value of the
entire working system?  Too rare or valuable to hack into an air
system?  If I take it to an A/C shop to be evacuated, should I expect
to be able to sell them the R12 or just trade it even for the labor of
evacuating?  Anyone want the parts sans the compressor and bracket?

Lack of air conditioning isn't really a problem.  I take the top off
during the hot months, and am probably going to do an SSII conversion
sometime soon so will have even less use for it...

Thanks in advance,

David