Re: Tom's new Travelall project

-----Original Message-----
From: Farmer <pharmer@domain.elided>
To: J. Michael Shaw, II <MikeIIDC@domain.elided>; J. Grammer
<jkdaley@domain.elided>; ihc-digest@domain.elided <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Date: Thursday, April 22, 1999 4:53 PM
Subject: RE: Tom's new Travelall project

>J. Michael Shaw, II [mailto:MikeIIDC@domain.elided] wrote:
>> Are you saying that these have the same geometry for the wheel opening as
>> the rears?  Or that they can be bent to match the rears?  Either way,
that
>> may change my entire opinion of my WM, as I was thinking of keeping it,
>> getting it cleaned up, but the arches for my rear quarters are
half-eaten.
>> Can I get the fronts and piece together an acceptable replacement?
>
>I spoke with a well-regarded body shop nearby about doing this work on
>my Travelall.  Having to fabricate the rear steel from scratch was quite
>expensive, but when we factored in the cost reducation due to starting with
>the openings from a pair of front fenders the price dropped considerably.
>Hmmm, I don't seem to have that quote handy, however.  I don't remember the
>exact difference, but the total estimate was around $2500 for all new
>floors,
>new body mounts, new quarter panels, and a new paint job.  Luckily I found
>a pair of inner front fenders in perfect condition, so that will go into
>the job.  And, now I have a set of doors (thanks Curt), to replace mine
>(they were hit by a travelall!).
>
>Ken

I have not even begun to ask, but for the amount of work you are talking
about, that doesn't sound like a bad price at all!  Let me know how it turns
out.  How much was it going to save you to have the fender patches from the
front welded in?  If it goes well, I may bring my WM out and let them do it!

Michael