7.3 swap

Umm, not to challenge Greg's obviously superior grasp of engine dynamics,
but a few points:

>Diesels DO have lower pumping losses than spark motors at part throttle due
>to the lack of a throttle--but this advantage is non-existent at WOT!!

If you're building 600ftlb and up engines, how much time WILL you really
spend at WOT?  Not much, I'm guessing :>.

> Diesel fuel has 40% (I think that was the figure I saw - I have no
>reference to check) more potential energy per gallon than gasoline. Hence,

>>what goes into a blend of either type. So--the real difference is not
>>nearly what your impression was!!

Tom *maybe* was thinking of something else- that number (40%) is around the
difference between the costs of refining crude to diesel and then to gas--
in fact, the gas engine damn well better beat the diesel in all the ways
Greg is saying 'cause somebody's already given it a hell of a huge head
start with the extra fuel refining steps!  Think of gasoline as "designer"
fuel.

>The situation in Europe is driven by politics and taxation, not by
>technological and scientific considerations, let alone by free economics!
>I, for one, hope that our country stays freer than that!!

Uh, have you checked the price of home HEATING oil lately?  Our choices ARE
equally driven by taxation and politics!!!  Poor Eldon and friends get to
subsidize our lifestyle by paying enough taxes on diesel to bring the price
up to (or above) what we pay.

And speaking of freedom...that's the whole point!  If you import every drop
of oil, then you had better make sure that every gallon of crude oil that
comes ashore had better get as many Rolfs and Yves to work as possible.

And the diesel has just proven over and over and over again to be the most
effective way to do this.    Does their way or ours make more sense?

I think (in fact, I know) you're going to have a great rig, Greg, but I
think your next project will be to get a hold of some surplus military
in-flight refueling equipment!

And I still think that the PowerStroke is the ultimate IH light truck
powerplant- just because it's the latest Navistar technology, plain and
simple.

In Use: 70 1210 4x4 TE, 73 1210 WM
Project (2nd time) 67 1000B PU
Parts: 67 1000B TA   68 1100 4x4 TA  72 1010 TA