RE: RE: Priming the oil pump - IT RUNS!!

Eldon, Jeff, Steve, Greg, Rik, Tom, etc...

Thank you for your words of wisdom.  It turns out the pump was producing
good pressure all along, I just couldn't tell to my satisfaction.  Your
inputs helped put my mind at ease.

To determine if the pump was working correctly, I  unscrewed the oil
filter and found it was full of oil.  That meant it was producing some
pressure and must be primed, but was it enough to adequately lube the
engine?

To verify I had enough pressure, I hooked up two wires between the engine
on the stand and the Scout.  One wire was the ground attached to the
Scout body and the engine stand, the other wire ran from the sending unit
on the engine to the oil sender plug in the Scout.  Hook up the battery,
spin the oil pump with the drill, and check the oil pressure gauge on the
instrument panel.  The gauge came up to the half way point.  I felt much
better now.

The engine installation went smoothly, after we realized the torque
converter wasn't slid far enough into the transmission to allow proper
alignment.

The first attempt at an engine start had its problems.  The backfiring
and large flames from the carb were a good indication something wasn't
right.  When I installed the distributor, I set the timing mark on 0, and
aligned the distributor rotor towards the #8 wire.  What I didn't realize
was the timing mark rotates twice for every one revolution of the rotor.
I had the spark plugs firing on the EXHAUST stroke instead of during the
COMPRESSION stroke.  I lifted the distributor, turned the rotor around
180 degrees, and tried another start.  The engine started right up.

I wouldn't have attempted a major project like an engine rebuild if it
wasn't for the invaluable resource the IHC Digest provides.  I want to
thank everyone that has helped over the last 1 1/2 years since I started
the research for this project.  It's been well worth the time and labor
involved.

Thanks again,
Mike Ryan

1977 Scout II, ported 345, automatic, Dana 300, 3.54 gears,
4" superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL Radials

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]