"Midas" swivel seat armrest removal question/impossibly low gearing

OK....first I need to ask the digest about the Midas package swivel seats
with armrests.  I just finished putting in a couple in my ScoutII, and so
far they are the most comfortable and versatile seats I have ever used!
HOWEVER, they need to be recovered, as the material is not ripped but very
badly stained as well as not matching my interior (imagine russet red with
plaid interior with tan/plad seats, and grey carpeting!!!)
To this end, I can get kits to recover these, but I need some way to remove
the armrests!!! There doesn't seem to be any way to do this without ripping
off the covering...PLEASE HELP!!!

Next...

Here's my idea to feed your slavering minds about increasing the low-range
on a Scout, pickup, etc...

1:  find two identical ratio'ed two-speed electric Eaton rear axles off of
a light-line (yes, they were available!!), loadstar or S-series truck

2: Cut off the wheel ends, about 1/2 way down the axle tubes of both axles.

3: Get two "donor" Scout 44 axles (or, if you need bigger parts, get 60's
or 70's), and cut out the differentials!

4: Machine/modify the eaton axle tubes and your donor axle ends to fit into
one another (i envision the 44 end slotting into the bigger eaton
axleshaft..)...and weld them up!

5: have some custom axleshafts made up, and VOILA!  selective high-low
range front or back, and you get to use existing transmissions and t-cases!
(not to mention greater un-sprung weight)...these could be wired together
to shift in tandem, and allow for operation just like on a big truck!
Plus, you can forget about breaking ring and pinions forever....