Re: ?new owner? soon, questions

Your '73 could be a Dana 44 or a Dana 30.  You can tell by looking at the
U-bolts on the passenger side.  On a 44, the inner one goes around part
of the diff casting while on a 30, both U-bolts are around the axle tube
only.

Drums were all that were offered in '73.  Discs came in '74.  You do have
finned brake drums in front which were an improvement over earlier ones.

The transmission ratio cannot be told from the outside that I know of.
But if it's laying on the floor, just put it in low and turn the input
shaft, counting the turns needed to get one turn of the output shaft and
that's the ratio.  You'll need the bellhousing for a 4 speed in addition
to the transmission to swap.

IH offered the single speed chain-drive transfer case for those that
wanted a Scout to drive to the store in the snow, etc.  It's not great
for off-road, although that's why the deep low T-19 was offered--at least
you would have one relatively low gear for mild off-road use. You're
correct in your thinking--while you're swapping the transmission, you
might as well put in a 2 speed case at the same time.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts