Re: Here's what's going on w/my Scout/Help in the Bay Area?

>You should probably find somebody local that is available on a shorter
>notice.  Somebody with a good reputation.  Pick them like you pick a
doctor.
>Competance is more important that experience with IH, a mercedes guy can
>work on your scout.  Of course, experience with american trucks is
>preferred.

Quite honestly, I disagree, and from what  have heard on this digest, many
others do as well.  Any knowledgeable mechanic can work on any car, however,
knowing that the IH is timed on the #8 cylinder instead of #1-even though
this is written right on the intake manifold.  Also, most replacement
distributor caps are labeled for the #1 plug wire where the #8 goes.  Even
if someone knows to time on the #8, and reads the proper firing order off of
the intake manifold, they can put the wires in place one plug off, and get
it to work through messing the timing extremely out of whack, but it still
won't be right.  In my experience, SOME IH knowledge or care is very
important.  I would not insist that it be an exclusive IH spot, but they
must be able to tell you something about IH's as soon as you pull up.  What
you want is someone that walks out and says, "Got you an old 'Binder, huh?
I had one right after college..." and they proceed to tell you a story
I am personally a fan of Jim at Anything Scout, but he has his detractors
here on the list.  He is a businessman first, and he does indeed charge for
his services.  He is, however, very knowledgeable, and does know his stuff.
Some of his help is not the best-he usually has about four employees, if he
is alone there, it is something new-but for most, he is the only guy around.
He has been very good to me-charging me plenty, but going "above and beyond"
on a few occasions.
Anyway, let me know your schedules, and I will try to find some time.  I
know for a fact that I will be available on Tuesday and Thursday evening
next week-our clinic is closed.  If nothing else, I will insist that you let
me adjust you in exchange for helping you out a little bit.  Take off speed
and top end speed will be affected by your R+P, but I think the shaking and
slow acceleration you speak of is of a mechanical origin, not gearing-which
is mecanical, but not what I meant!

Michael