Re: ihc-digest V6 #735

>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:01:37 -0600
>From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Spring over questions.
>
>josad@domain.elided wrote:
>> ok, this just popped into my mind.  any reason why I can't take the new
>> housing, and gears down to the local tranny shop and have them put it
>> together before I start this project?  It's gonna be a 2wd anyhow for a
>
>You're going to new gears?  Sure.  You could get the housing from Maulis
>(Curt thinks it'll be close 'nuff.. and it probably would be.  If it
>*is* off to far it's just some additional work to play with shims)
Well, actually no - you can't just do it with shims - any angle that you
add to the pinion angle using shims is subtracted from your caster.
If you feel that you need to be able to have the front driveshaft turn
at high speed without vibration, then you either need to leave the
pinion horizontal (and stay with u-joints), or wait to rotate the
knuckles until you know what the angle should be(total knuckle rotation
will be desired added caster plus desired pinion angle). If you can live
with not being able to run at high speed in 4wd or with the hubs locked,
then get the pre-twisted axle housing and go for it.

Later,
  Curt
   rcleavin@domain.elided  San Diego, CA
   Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
   Scouts West: http://www.scoutswest.com
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150