Re: 7.3L Swap

>I was talking with Eldon about a 7.3L swap.. build the ultimate IH
>*light line* tow rig - LWB Travelette with a 7.3L.. I initially thought,
>"Ford 4spd Auto".. easy to just slide the whole motor/trans from a Ford
>pickup right on in, attach it to the divorced '205, and you're done.
>Or, spend the bucks for a Gear Vendor OD and set it up to split shift
>the 4spd auto.. 8spd auto!

I STILL say--the IH 446 gas motor will go anywhere the 444 (7.3) will
go--it is basically the same thing--- and, with turbos, it will make a TON
more power! 500 HP @ 4000 rpm on unleaded regular would not be an
unreasonable expectation from a twin turboed 446, with excellent
durability, if it were done right. Try that with a 7.3!!!

If you want a much stouter 4 speed automatic, use an Allison AT545 from a
1600 (could be the same truck that donated the engine. The very latest
models of this Allison (AT1545's) even have lock up converters. GV units
can also be mated to the AT545.

 If you gotta have the overdrive automatic, (double OD if you are using a
GV) use an A-618 Mopar from behind a Cummins inna Dodge--still an SAE #3
tranny flange on its converter housing, and way better tranny than the
E4OD. And GV units can mate to it , too. Plus, the OD ratio is .69 : 1 in
the A-618, The A-618 is stouter than the (very) special 727's that used to
be factory mated with 426 Hemis, to give you an idea.

There is also a fairly late model Spicer 7 speed that is used, for one
place, behind the Cummins 6BT motor in late model FORD F-700's--and not
quite as bulky/ heavy as a RoadRanger Fuller. For anything else,
particularly with a Travelette, which is long enough, even with a divorce
mounted t-case, use 4x3 or 5x3 main & aux manuals, divorce mounted, and
shift away.

Regards, Greg