brakes and carriers

Hi,
    Recently I bought a set of axles for my '66 800.  The only problem is that they did not have any brake hardware on them.  What size brakes and drums were on '70's 800's with D44 rear, D30 front.  All that is there is a backing plate.  My manual gives several different sizes for the front and rear.
    What are the dividing lines between between the different sizes of a R&P carriers?  Aren't there two different sizes for each D44 and D30.  Lastly, is it possible to shim a D44 powerlock 4.27 carrier to fit a 3.73 R&P?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

PS - an interesting note - I was talking to a mechanic about front and rear R&P sizes.  He was saying that up to the '70's and the production of full time 4WD, manufactures made sure there was a slight difference between the front and rear R&P ratios.  Since most of the vehicles weight is in the front of the vehicle, the front tires would have a different diameter as it had the weight of the front end, engine, trans, and some of the driver.  This would affect the front and rear ratios when locked into 4WD.  This accounted for a smoother ride going down the road in 4WD.  Full time 4WD had a center differential that had some give, so companies like Dana began making R&P's with identical ratios.