Re: Gear Ratio? Power-lok?

The 9xxx xx's do include the axle ratio along with the part number of
every piece down to the nuts and bolts making up the axle, but only if
you've got the complete IH Specs system to refer to to find out what the
9xxx xx means.   But if 4.27 was printed on the lineset, that's what the
9xxx xx will end up telling you.

Actually you've got the best way to tell what you've really got right at
hand--look for the metal tag under one of the diff cover bolts that will
have the number or ring and pinion teeth and the resulting ratio stamped
into it.

If this is missing, just turn the input shaft to the diff and count the
number of turns necessary to get one revolution of the axle shafts.
(Assuming that this is a Power-Lok and both turn together.  If they don't
turn together, the best thing is to hold one stationary and count the
input turns for TWO revs. of the other shaft).  For more accuracy, you
might want to go for 5 or 10 revs of the axle shafts and then divide the
input count by that number.

And as a last resort, you can pull the cover and count the number of
teeth on the two gears and divide.

14028 is a Power-Lok (or Track-Loc) code.  The lineset should say this
also.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:56:13 EDT TERNOV@domain.elided writes:
>I just got a Dana 44 out of an 800 dropped off at my house this
>morning. I'm
>going to be swapping this in place of my 27 rear, and then swapping my
>27
>powerlok up front so I can run twin power-loks or powerlok front and
>locked
>rear. My question is, I have the line set ticket number, can anyone
>translate
>this number into a ratio and whether it has powerlok or not. The
>number is
>14028 9xxx x (x's signifying digits that are scribbled out). It looks
>like
>someone may have swapped in 3.73s because that is hand written next to
>the
>original typed digits. In fact, now that I look at it, it appears to
>read GR
>4.27 axle RR. So maybe it was originally a 4.27 but someone swapped
>3.73's in
>place of them. Well, would this mean I need a new carrier or not? This
>could
>be a bit of a project...
>Devin Smith
>'65 Scout 80

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]