RE: Steering Woes

Brad wrote:
>    Serious problem.  I have a 71 Travelall and my steering sucks big
> time.  I just had the steering gear rebuilt and still with my
> 33x14.5x15 the truck is really squirrey when I hit reflectors on the
> road.  How can I correct this problem?

Of course, those tires aren't going to help you get great handling. But,
what kind of suspension do you have?  I assume you have leave springs front
& rear & 4WD if you have 33s on it.  What you describe sounds like bump
steer - something I don't experience in my '74 100 4WD.

Since I replaced the spring bushings, got some new tires (30"x9.5"),
replaced the shocks (RS/9000), and replaced the tie rod, my '74 drives
great.  My '75 with IFS is really smooth, but the steering doesn't feel as
"tight" as the 4WD.

Ken Farmer
1974 Travelall 100, new springs, 30" tires, RS/9000s,
1975 Travelall 150, IFS, 29" tires